Courtesy of Hemsley + Hemsley
- 100g flaked almonds
- 1 small onion, roughly diced
- 1 large leek, roughly diced
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 large garlic clove, roughly diced
- 2½ tsp fresh tarragon, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 600g asparagus, trimmed
- 1¼ litres vegetable stock
- 2½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
For the topping
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Toast 25g of the almonds in a dry, large saucepan and set aside for garnishing later.
- In the same pan gently fry the onion and leek in ghee for 5 mins until softened, but not browned. Add the garlic and tarragon to the pan and fry for another minute.
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the woody ends. Add the spears and remaining 75g almonds to the pan. Stir, add a pinch of salt and black pepper, then add the stock.
- Simmer gently for 5 mins, with the lid on, until the asparagus is tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice. Blend carefully, in batches if necessary. Taste and adjust the seasoning.